04 November 2006

Story: Middle Part 2

[[Continuity Note: Picking up where we left off again... ish]]

Over the next week, Damien refused to speak to Alf, despite any attempts Alf
made to apologise and pretend that he had been lying.

One day, while moping around in his bedroom, his parents cornered him.

"Okay, Alf," his mother began, seating herself on the bed beside her son.
"What's up?"

"We know it can't just have been missing that football game that's gotten
you so down," his father added.

Alf looked up at his parents. "I'm not sure if I should tell you. I told
Damien and he thought I was lying."

The adults exchanged a glance.

"I'm sure that anything that's gotten you this upset can't possibly be a
lie," his father reassured him, finally.

Alf drew his knees up and leant his chin on them, still uncertain.

"What's the worst that could happen? Even if we don't believe you?" his
mother asked.

Slowly, Alf nodded his head, then turned it away. He didn't want to face
them when he told his story. They were going to be so ashamed.

"What if I told you that I had magic powers?"

His parents looked at him curiously. "Like, what sort of magic powers?" his
mum asked.

"Mostly, just moving things. But you remember a week ago, when you were
late picking me up to take me to the dentist?" His mother nodded in
response. "I did something pretty awful."

His parents looked at him. Wondering what their son could have done that he
thought was so awful.

"Rock was teasing me. And I don't know what I said, but the next thing I
knew he was on me. Like, hands around my neck, choking me." His parents
looked at him, shocked.

"But we never saw anything..." his mother trailed off.

"That's because of what happened next. I don't know how it happened, but
the next thing I knew, Rock was on the ground, and my neck was perfectly
fine. Then mum pulled up, and I just... left him there."

"Oh," his mother said, covering her mouth with a hand. They could see that
Alf had beaten himself up about it enough, so chose to say nothing.

"He was okay the next day, but I was feeling really guilty. So I told him
I'd do him a favour. HIs favour was having me pull down the principal's
pants."

"So that's why you did that," his mother whispered in sudden comprehension.

Alf nodded.

"And you told us it was nothing," Mr Struthers reprimanded. "Why didn't you
tell us before?"

"Because it was so weird," Alf said. "I wasn't sure if you'd believe me.
And then I told Damien and he thought I was lying just because I didn't want
to go see that footy game."

"If you ask me, that seems mighty unreasonable of him," Alf's father stated.

And the way he said it made Alf laugh for the first time in a week.

"Good to see you're feeling better," his mother smiled.

"So," his dad began. "How about a demo of these powers?"

"A demo?"

"I just want to see what you can do."

Alf looked at his parents warily. "When I tried to show Damien it didn't
work. I don't really know how to control it."

His dad looked a little disappointed.

"I guess it can't hurt to try."

Alf concentrated on a nearby lamp, deciding to not attempt to do something
destructive for once. He reached out the invisible fingers in his mind and
switched it off. Then he managed to lift it up.

His parents looked astounded. "I didn't quite expect it to be like that,"
Mr Struthers said.

"Not that we thought you were lying," his mother said, in the tone of voice
that made you disbelieve what she was saying.

"Just, as a precaution," Alf's dad added. "I think it would probably be
best if you didn't use that power. I know there are probably a lot of good
things you could do with it, but you don't know how to use it, and I don't
want you getting into trouble of any kind."

"Promise us you won't use them, Alfie," his mother implored.

Alf nodded. "I promise."

[[End scene, so I figured I'd post it.]]