10 November 2006

Story: Middle Part 22

[[Continuity Note: Alf just finished talking to Rock.]]

The next day at school, Alf found it hard to ignore when Damien, who was in his science class, when he began bragging about the brand new game he had for the Nintendo DS that Alf was pretty sure he hadn't had yesterday. He listened intently as one of the other boys asked where he'd gotten the money from.

"The PSP was a present," Damien explained. "I bought the DS with my allowance."

"You must have been saving for that for ages," someone commented.

Damien had been, Alf knew. But he also knew that with his currently weekly allowance of six dollars, he wasn't going to have enough to by the DS for another few months, even with the odd jobs that he did sometimes. Especially since Damien was a vicious spendthrift and had trouble saving two dollars a week.

"Yeah," Damien responded. Then added, seemingly for Alf's benefit, "It's helped that my parents upped my allowance."

"Is it wrong to be so suspicious of him?" Alf asked Jessica when they met up for lunch. "I mean, I know he wouldn't have had enough with six dollars a week, and he said that his parents had raised it. But he's been bugging them about it for ages and they've always thought that six dollars was reasonable. Even if he bartered them up to ten it would still have taken up until Christmas, at least."

Jessica was silent.

"I guess I'm just jealous. I mean, he dumps me as his best friend, then he goes and gets a bigger allowance and cooler things."

"You know," Jessica began in quite a serious voice. "Even if the PSP was a present, and he saved up enough money for a DS. It still doesn't explain his watch."

"And his birthday isn't until May. Not to mention why would anyone give you a present so close to Christmas time... unless of course, it was a Christmas present. But then wouldn't he have said that?" Alf was too preoccupied by this new information to notice that Jessica had spoken to him straight. "Is it stalkery for me to have noticed all of this about him?"

"I've noticed it too," Jessica added. "Something doesn't seem quite right."

"But you're influenced by hanging out with me too much."

"That doesn't mean I don't come to my own conclusions about things, Alf."

"Well, if that's not stalkery. Do you think it would be if we-?" here Alf paused, as though afraid of expressing this idea. "If we spied on him?"

Jessica looked at Alf seriously. "I was just thinking the same thing."

"Hey wait a second," Alf looked at Jessica. "Aren't you supposed to find a moral fault with my actions?"

"You forget, Alf," Jessica stated. "I spied on you before I approached you."

Alf shut up immediately, suddenly worried about what she'd seen and what she'd noticed in a way he hadn't before.

Jessica rolled her eyes. "I didn't see anything you have to be worried about."